Wednesday 22 January 2014

CONVERSATION WITH JOZY: ZIPPER ATAFO

I caught up with Kampala’s Make-up artist Zipper Atafo the very talented man with the Midas touch who is responsible for the many flawless faces that we see on Kampala's social scene. You will find him backstage and behind the scenes transforming many faces that we know and love into screen ready, show stopping confident personalities.  How does he do it and what makes him tick? Jozy would like to know.
Zipper Atafo - Celebrity Make-Up Artist

Jozy: What inspired you to be a Make-up artist?

ZA: My mother is my earliest inspiration. She taught me about the power of lipstick and glamour from an early age. She’s always been an encouraging and inspiring force in my life. Within the industry Ronnie Mulindwa was the first person to hire me work with his girl band the “Obsessions” I ended up working with them on a regular basis. He taught me all about this industry, both the creative and business perspectives.

Jozy: Have you got any formal training?

ZA: I have not been trained formally trained as a Make-up artist but i seek all that I need to know about my chosen craft and Make-up every day. I educate and empower myself all the time. I learn on the job, it’s endless.

 Jozy: Name a few of your celebrity clients?

ZA: I’ve worked with a number of Kampala’s starlets in the Entertainment and Fashion industries including Irene Namubiru, Judith Heard, Jackie Chandiru, Sharon Salmon, Desire Luzinda, the list is endless but i embrace everyone they don’t have to be celebrities.
Celebrity Judith Heard
 Jozy: Any perks of the job? 

ZA: I mainly enjoy the following perks;

Experimenting: I get to experiment with different products. I like seeing what happens when i mix this colour with that.  What happens if I move my contour line up just a pinch? Does this setting powder work best with the foundation? Part of perfecting my craft includes experimenting with various products, skin types and tones. The classic winged eyeliner and red lip didn’t happen by accident, after all. It took a lot of testing before they eventually gained huge popularity and took their places as classic Make-up looks. Who knows what one could discover next?
Bridal make-up by Zipper
 Meeting New People: I get to meet a lot of amazing people every day be it  Brides, Theatre Producers, Socialites, Actors, Musicians, Celebrities, Politicians or those not in the Public eye.  Sure, you’ll have the odd grumpy client whom you’d rather forget but you also make long lasting friendships. I have built up a list of loyal and repeat clientele this way. Many of my strongest friendships were formed on the job.
 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 






Zipper on TV set

Travel: I am often asked to travel to different parts of the country for photo shoots such as
advertising campaigns, beauty  and fashion shows, weddings and private ceremonies or
parties. Travel throughout the country and to foreign countries is common since many projects use sets located in various places. I don’t mind it as long as my travel costs are met. I have been to places and cities I would otherwise not have visited which I find rewarding.

 

 Celebrity Akankwasa Esther
 
 Flexibility: As a Make-up artist, I decide what hours I work and what jobs I take on. This is very handy and can fit nicely with someone with other commitments i.e family life or other jobs. This way of working is perfect for me as sometimes am busy with other things but always I am able to make it all work. Most of my Make-up gigs are booked for weekends which allow me time to pursue other interests. Make-up artistry is a fairly easy career to make a smooth transition from another career.
 Bridal make-up by Zipper

 Jozy: Favourite brand of Make-up?

ZA: I do not have a favourite brand simply because different brands do different things. For example, I find that Sleek makes the best pencils and Mac has the best eyeshades.  It’s all about mixing brands to achieve a perfect look.

 Jozy: What are your top tips for creating a day and night look?

ZA: The basic tip for a day or night look is the eyebrow. If you have a well filled in neat eyebrow you are ready to rock both looks. For a little spicy, spanky and sexy look I recommend a matte, dark eyeshade.

 Jozy: Any advice for those wishing to become Make-up artists?

ZA: For those hoping to enter the industry, I’d say… be creative, be patient, you must maintain an artistic flair at all times. Also, get an Education/Training because I’ve heard some Make-up artists say you don’t need an education but I disagree. Sure you can learn the skills over time by trial & error but why take 20 years to learn what you could in a week from an industry professional?  Education is very important. I’m not saying you have to go to a Make-up school but you need to take classes on a regular basis. Look for classes that give you a business insight and perspective too. You can be a talented artist but without the business know how it’s difficult to make this a career. The right classes can take you to the next level and help you earn a decent income.

Musician Dezire Luzinda
Jozy: Any future plans?

ZA: I’d like to continue to work on a freelance basis taking my services to clients’ doorstep. I’d possibly work with major clients including television, film and members of the public for instance, individuals who need special looks for weddings or other special occasions. I dream of heading my Make-up crew covering backstage at some International Fashion Week like New York.
Zipper's Bridal Client
Zipper's Bridal Client
 
 Jozy: Who's you dream client? 

ZA: Anyone who feels they can trust me with their face is welcome for a “face beating”. The beautiful looks which result from all the hard work make it all worthwhile. I would love to work on you Jozy though...LOL.

 Jozy: Aw! What a charmer. I would gladly get my “face beat” by the Master Zipper Atafo any day and I’ll hold you to that.

Contact for appointments:
Facebook: facebook.com/zipper.atafo
Twitter: @ZAtafo 
Instagram: @star_atafo.

No comments:

Post a Comment