Monday 16 March 2015

CONVERSATIONS WITH JOZY: MUSIC SPOTLIGHT WITH SPILLA

I caught up with UK based Ugandan musician Spilla ahead of his latest hotly anticipated new release KOLOLO https://soundcloud.com/spilla_don/kololo-dance-spilla-don. The jet setting artist has enjoyed much success over the last year following his collaborations with Pallaso and their mega hit Ntwala. With more collaborations under his belt he is now enlisting Uganda's best producers like Nash Wonder. Spilla says he's just getting warmed up and the fans are taking notice. 


How did you get your name?
My Baptism of the the name Spilla was during my teenage years back in school. We used to do freestyle battles and my deadly flow lead to the birth of the name. ‘ The Lyrical spilla’...because every time i freestyled i was spilling ill flows.

How long have you been performing and what did you do before you got into music?
I’ve always loved making rhymes and performing. I even remember gathering my little friends in primary school to sample them. Hahaha.

What made you realise you wanted to pursue a career in music?
It was always on mind that as soon as I’m able to, I will always pursue my dream.

Describe your music in three words 
Versatile Ultra-hot  Afro-Dancehall

What has been your biggest challenge on your music journey?
Getting my music to the appropriate audience in a timely manner. In simple terms - distribution.

Music has a great impact on the young. What advice do you have for the youth that listen to your music?
I always work hard to achieve everything I’ve achieved to date. So stay focused and work hard because any realistic dream is achievable because hard work pays.

What do you enjoy best, studio or a live stage? How would you get the public to support live music and shows?
Spilla: I enjoy live stage most. I get to interact with my fans and get a real response that’s where i get my buzz from. I always give my performances the best energy I possibly can give and hope to leave my fans satisfied.

What is your musical influence and is it any similar to your music? 
My music has a mixture of Caribbean and African influences, this gives it a broader audience.

What image/message does your music conveys and why did you choose this image/message?
Just being happy and fun. I chose this message because with this modern day world people are working so hard and as you know work stress can lead to a lot of misery. So my music allows one’s body to produce endorphins necessary for happiness.

Which of your songs would you not mind performing over and over again? 
I love all my songs especially Ntwala featuring Pallaso but Control Ft. Lydia Jazmine is one song I wouldn’t mind performing again and again. I love the beat. Producer Nash Wonder did a great Job.

Where would you like to see yourself in the next 5 years as an artist?
I would like to see myself on the global stage holding the Ugandan flag high.

As an artist how would you define success?
Global dominance in the music world and influence.

Any upto date performance plans, new releases, tours, news?
Yes! I’m Releasing my latest Afrobeat entitle Kololo Dance in the first week of April 2015. This will be in Uganda. The dates are soon to be confirmed. This will be the biggest tune of 2015 in Uganda and all over the planet. I'm that confident.

What makes your music unique/different from other artists?
My messages, Vocal range and versatility.

Do you currently have an agent, endorsement, record label, sponsor?
I have an Acting agent but currently look for serious agent. Not Signed and Looking for a sponsor.

Contact:
Twitter: @spilla_don
facebook.com/pages/SPILLA/59209012040?ref=hl 
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/spilla_don
Instagram: http://instagram.com/spilladon/
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/mrspilla01   

No comments:

Post a Comment