Friday 13 February 2015

CONVERSATIONS WITH JOZY: MODEL SPOTLIGHT - ANGELA NAKISOZI


 
I got some face time to interview Angela Nakisozi for the blog’s Conversations with Jozy segment. Angela is a young Ugandan model whose star continues rise in the cut throat fashion industry. She the winner of the first ever Face of Uganda organised by Eva Models last November and is currently on the verge of her runway debut at London Fashion Week 2015. On the surface Angela is calm, collected, and very shy even but behind all that sweet demeanour is a very determined and hardworking go getter. A young woman chasing her dreams. Read on to see how our conversation went down.

 Tell me about your background. Where are you from?
I am a third child. I was born in Uganda and raised in the UK. I live in Chingford and in Essex at the border that separates London and Essex. This means my house is between two places at the same time which ironically feels like my life, always in two places at once. 

 Have you always wanted to work in fashion?
From a very young age I was a tomboy. It was until secondary school when I started doing a Textiles course that I started looking at fashion magazines and creating mood boards. I really enjoyed the concept of putting different clothes together playing around with fabrics mixing and matching things. When at college I met a designer in final year who asked me to model for their collection for their finals. Since then I caught the bug.


Tell me about what you do. What is a typical workday like?
On a typical working day I get up at 5am, thank goodness am an early morning person. I check my emails for castings and if I do I confirm addresses and travel to the job. If I have a shoot or fashion show it will be the same routine. Its long hours and am usually back home at 8pm sometimes midnight. That’s the sacrifice but it is what I do and I enjoy it.

What are your favourite and least favourite things about your job?
Meeting new people and wearing talented designer creations are my fave. My least favourite is the pressure just before the shows and the chaos backstage. Its mad but it's all part of the excitement so I guess it's okay. 

 Who is your favourite designer/Celebrity style?
I am not into designer wear or celebrity styles. I prefer high street stuff which I can mix and match with designer stuff. if I like it and can pair it with what I have and look elegant or different then I buy it. For me fashion is about simplicity and not who you’re wearing. One confession though I like hanging out at Harrods in Chelsea there is no explanation for that I just like doing it and watch fabulous people come and go about their business.


What’s your biggest triumph?
One of my biggest triumphs was shooting for ByroseLondon for Asos for the spring/summer campaign. Also working with one of my favourite designers Thanh-Vu on his lookbook that was featured in Selfridges.

Best experience in the fashion industry?
I feel like every time I spend doing what I love is a best experience.  Also last year I won the Face of Uganda competition in the UK which was amazing and it has led me featuring on your blog its exciting for me as I get the opportunity to share what I do with other people. I hope the opportunities will continue. 

Not so glamorous realities or obstacles of the industry?
Every industry has its ups and downs and fashion is no different. However, I haven't let any obstacle stop me from doing what I love.

Any future plans?
I hope to continue modelling hopefully on an international scale and achieve my dream. I also hope to start a modelling Agency one day. At the moment i am looking forward to walking the runway during this year’s London Fashion Week.
What Advice would you give to someone who would like a career in the fashion industry?

My advice would be let your individuality shine.  Go beyond the so called boundaries, don't follow what's been done because if it has been done that means it's old news. Don't let NO be the final answer. Try again and again because that's what we all do. Use your time wisely because we are not here forever. Lastly, remember you are here for a reason and you are blessed above and beyond by God.







Angela is the current Face of Uganda and will also feature at this year’s London Fashion Week 20th – 24th February.
 
Name: Angela Nakisozi
Occupation: Fashion model
Location: London
Facebook: Angela NakixModèle
Instagram: Angelanakix_modèlo
Twitter: Angelanakix_modello

No comments:

Post a Comment