Thursday 10 April 2014

Conversation With Jozy: Sera Lubowa-Muhenda On Finally Finding Inner Joy

In this latest series of Conversation with Jozy I got to interview a phenomenal woman and great ambassador for Uganda Mrs. Sera Lubowa-Muhenda (Yes! she’s married). Sera is a renowned Singer, Actress and Model born in Mengo, Uganda, was raised in Paris before moving to Texas in the  USA where she is now based. The beautiful young model and wife is a trained Dancer and former Pageant Queen excited to be finally pursuing her music career. Her "sound" is a mixture of Soul, R&B, Afrobeat and Reggae and has been compared to Jill Scott and Corrine Bailey-Rae. She credits her passion for music to Miriam Makeba, Bob Marley, Lucky Dube, Lauryn Hill and other artists who write lyrics from the SOUL.

Where do you live and what do you love most about it?
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas is a sunny, often quiet but youthful area. There is always something to do whether it’s cultural, relaxation, retail or nightlife. I love it! Best place in the USA I believe!

Have you always wanted to work in fashion? 
Fashion was never on my mind. In fact, I was a tom-goy all the way tip my Senior Prom. That was the first time I wore makeup and a gown in front of my school mates!  I fell into the fashion world at the age of 19 when I began modeling. At home, I’m very simple but when I am in public, I like to showcase a piece of my soul with every look.

Tell me about what you do. What is a typical workday like?
I wake up, do yoga or cardio (depending on the weather). I head to the office, work until 4pm. I head home, write music for other artists (I ghost write) and then hit the gym. After the gym, I cook, clean, work on my own music, and fall asleep.

What are your favourite things about your job?
Writing! I love to write! I can take myself into any situation and come out with a song or story.

Favorite Designer/Celebrity style?
I can never get enough of Valentino. I love the classic beauty of his pieces. Also, my best friend Gloria Mandudi. She is a great designer.
 
What’s your biggest triumph?
Any Woman’s greatest triumph, whether she will admit it or not, is finding her bliss. Her inner joy, her purpose and LOVING herself for it. It was a great struggle in my life but I finally have it!

Best experience in the fashion industry?
Meeting Barak Obama at a fashion show. I never thought fashion would lead me there.

Not so glamorous realities or obstacles of the industry?
Women will harm themselves and others for 5 seconds of limelight. The ugliest part of you will come out when you are desperate. I have been there and I have witnessed it.

Tell me about the music. How did that come about? 
Ever since I was a baby, I was singing. Instead of toys, I was next to the radio. I entered talent shows, attended performance schools and theaters. Vocal coaching. I just knew that music is going to be my life a death. I fully embrace this fact.

Whats your sound like? How do you get it to your audience?
AfroBeat meats Soul, Reggae and Pop. I sing what I see and I love melodies from all over the world. I’m a “World Artist”.

Any future plans?
I plan on traveling to Africa and other Continents this year to showcase my work. I will finally reveal my soul’s fullest potential by the grace of God.

Words of wisdom: What Advice would you give to someone who would like a career in the fashion industry?
Find your joy. Find that thing that holds your happiness and nurture it. Write things down, thank people, smile, dance, cry and forgive. This will build you up. Focus on your Joy.

You can listen to Sera’s music via reverbnation and and soundcloud.
 
Contact:
Website: www.facebook.com/SeraLubowaEXTRA
Instagram: @SeraLubowa
Twitter: @SeraLubowa












 WOW! Such fierceness we wish this young lady all the success!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment