Tuesday 18 February 2014

CONVERSATION WITH JOZY: LEAH MISIKA

The aim of these Conversations segments of the blog is to get to know personalities working on the scene and behind the scenes in this coveted but difficult fashion industry and for them to share industry insight.
In this latest segment I interviewed Fashion Designer Leah Kahundu Misika who is the Founder of fashion house La Mode Fashion cc. She tells us how she got into fashion, her fave designer and inspiration. I hope you find the conversation inspiring!

 
Jozy: Tell us a little bit about your background

LM: I was born in Katima Mulilo,Namibia to a middle class family and attended a local public school before transferring to an international school in Windhoek, Namibia. After discovering Fashion TV, i began designing as a hobby making clothes for my dolls and went on to design my older sister's prom dress when I was 11 years old. I never considered Fashion Design as a career and had my eye on a law career. My family moved around a lot as my dad is a diplomat. We moved to Paris where I joined the International School of Paris. It was while living in Paris that my love for fashion grew. The family later moved to Kampala, Uganda where i attended the International School of Uganda and i studied law. In between classes i taught a hip-hop dance class and played soccer for my school team. I was also President for the Student Body for two years. Living in Uganda exposed me to very crafty and artistic people. I met Fashion Designer Sylvia Owori who made me realize that it wasn’t crazy for an African girl to be a designer and make it a career so I decided to explore the fashion industry. Eventually, i moved to Miami and joined Miami International University of Arts and Design where i soon graduated with a Bachelors degree in Fashion Design in September 2010.

 Jozy: Who/What is your Inspiration?

LM:  I am inspired by so much that it is really hard to pin point what exactly inspires me, but If I have to choose one, it would have to be “LM” This woman I created that personifies the kind of woman I Design for and speak to in general. She keeps me inspired because she’s the kind of woman I cannot afford to disappoint and her appetite for fashion is there for me to satisfy so I draw inspiration from that.

 

Jozy:  Who is your Favorite Designer/celebrity style?

LM: Coco Channel. Not only do I love her work as a designer, but I love her story and who she stood for. It is her story that leads me to believe that I can do anything I want just as she did. I love the simplicity of the Chanel collections that have stood the test of time.
 

Jozy: Any Words of wisdom” and advice to someone who would like a career in the fashion industry?

LM: To anyone that would like a career in the fashion industry; understand that it is not an easy industry to join, you must do everything in your power to be the best at what you do, that way you will end up somewhere people will notice your work. Never give up on your dream, instead plan how you will make it come true and see it through.

Leah was once asked, "What kind of designer are you?” to which she replied; " I'm not just a designer, I'm an architect of fashion. My job is not just to create and build garments from inside out, but to ensure that they function and look extraordinary."

Excited to explore the possibilities of life, Leah is currently pursuing her career as a fashion designer, Fashion Writer, Fashion TV Show Writer and Director and other fashion related projects.

A woman wearing many hats. Watch out world!

Contact:
Location: Windhoek, Namibia
Instagram: LM LAMODE
Twitter: @LMLamode

 

No comments:

Post a Comment