Friday 18 October 2013

MUSIC SPOTLIGHT: UGANDA'S HYPER HYPE TO PERFORM AT BEFFTA AWARDS 2013

Jozyz life & Style caught up with UK based award winning Ugandan musician Hyper Hype (real name Patrick Onen) ahead of his performance at the forth coming awards ceremony on 26th October in London. Beffta awards honour personalities in entertainment, film, fashion, television and arts. Hype is nominated for Best UK Afro Beat Act/Artist 2013 in the Music Category.

JLS: How did you get your name Hyper Hype?
HH:
when I first came to London i did  Dj sets at house parties, clubs and  gigs where I would hype up the crowd and that’s how I became known as Hyper Hype.

JLS: How long have you been performing and what did you do before you got into music?
HH:
I’ve been performing since i was a kid. Dance and music are my first love. I always had Dj equipment and full sets of mic, turntables, speakers name it.

Hyper Hype
JLS: What made you realise you wanted to pursue a career in music?
 HH:
  I was dancing and Djing as a hobby but as I got older I realised I could get paid to do what I was doing. That’s how the transition from hobby to career came about and now am getting recognition for my music.
JLS: Hype has won multiple awards across Europe including
2011 ACOF Awards Winner - Best Artist UK/Europe
2011 BEFFTA Awards Winner  -Best Station/Radio
2012 ACOF Awards Winner - Best Artist UK/Europe


JLS: Describe your music in three words
HH:
Swag, Dynamite, Sexy.

JLS: What has been your biggest challenge on your music journey?
HH:
Performing in different cities, the travelling is hard. It costs a lot for artists in terms of studio time and marketing so it’s disappointing when some event organisers don’t want to pay for artists costs. Little or no sleep these are all challenges.

Hype at East African Voice Online Radio
JLS: Music has a great impact on the young. What advice do you have for the youth that listen to your music?
HH:
Try different styles of music sometimes you might be surprised so challenge yourself. Do free shows before you start asking for pay. Listen to feedback from the fans, I started out as a rapper but feedback helps me identify what works now I do Afro Beats because i listen to other people. Stay focused, stay in school and always have a plan B. Don’t leave that part time job as it might help you finance your projects because you don’t always earn money in the beginning.

JLS: What do you enjoy best, studio or a live stage? How would you get the public to support live music and shows?
HH:
I enjoy both, in the studio and when performing i get things off my chest and destress. If  am angry, happy or moody  i just lay out tracks on a CD so i jump in the booth and do some recording to get my stress out.

JLS: What is your musical influence and is it any similar to your music?
HH:
I have a lot of influences especially in rap and hip hop music. At the moment my dream is to work with Mack Morrison famous for the hit “ Return Of The Mack” his swag influenced me in a lot of ways. He gave me his email so fingers crossed. I have Afro beat, reggae, hip hop, RnB, Azonto tracks so i'll be surprising with my music influences on my new album due before end 2013.
             
Hype with Denis Mugaga (Ganda Boys)
JLS: What image/message does your music conveys and why did you choose this image/message?
HH:
I learned over time to respect people so that they give me respect back. I don’t steal, i don't do drugs and only drink socially. I don't like getting into trouble or arguments so usually i keep my distance from those things.  

 JLS: Which of your songs would you not mind performing over and over again?
HH:
''AFRICAN LADY' as people always ask me to perform that song.  Surprisingly i didn’t write or rehearse that song. I was on the phone to a girl on my way to the studio and she asked me to write a song about home. I got to the studio straight to the vocal booth and did the song there and then it took less than 30 minutes to loop the beats and lay out the vocals and now its a hit.
Hype at East African Voice Online Radio
JLS: Where would you like to see yourself in the next 5 years as an artist?
HH:
I don't know but in the right direction. I hope to go platinum.

JLS: As an artist how would you define success?
HH:
Success is what you make. Success starts from inner self work hard and success will follow.
 
Receiving Best Radio Station Award at Befftas 2011
JLS: What are your upto date performance plans, new releases, tours, news?
HH:
I have been touring UK all this year and i have bookings for the rest of the year. I’d like to work with other African artists  and event organisers in future.

JLS: What makes your music unique/different from other artists?
HH:
My music is unique as i adapt to different cultures and situations. I have done collaborations with Jamaican artist (Patoise), Congo (French), BONGO (Swahili) and of course representing Uganda in Luganda and Luo/Acholi. Variety is key.
  Beffta 2011 Red Carpet Interview
JLS: Do you currently have an agent, endorsement, record label, sponsor?
HH:
I am still my own manager and just formed a new group called  L.S.G (Leaderz Of Swag Generation). I am working with the charity Our Roots and manage an artist called Lucky Bosmich Otim.  I used to mentor Stellah Reever Nsereko who won Miss Uganda this year and went on to represent Uganda at Miss World In 2013. I have acted in two Nollywood movie ''Natasha De Prodigal''and ''Home Away From Home''. I have just written a movie called 'Destiny' so adding actor to my resume the sky is the limit.

JLS: Wow!  A man of many talents. Thanks for stopping by and keep us updated of progress.
HH:
Thank you for having me and for the support.

Can Vote for Hyper Hype at www.beffta.com in the Best UK Afro Beats Category. Hype will be performing at the 5th Beffta Awards 2013 on the 26th October at Hippodrome, Golders Green, London.
Email: Patrickonen@hotmail.co.uk, www.facebook.com/hyperhype, Twitter @hyperhype1

No comments:

Post a Comment